Saturday, November 17, 2012

why i haven't shampooed my hair in seven weeks.


You read that correctly. The last time I used conventional shampoo was seven weeks ago. And no, I'm not dreading my hair (although I considered it in college). I decided to give the no-shampoo method a try after reading several blog posts about the impressive results. The posts promised baby-soft hair, less frequent washing, and saying goodbye to greasy hair. How could I not give it a try? 

So, for the past seven weeks, I've washed my hair with a mixture of water and baking soda as shampoo and a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar as conditioner. You know what's crazy? It works. It really, really works. The baking soda absorbs grease and grime and the apple cider vinegar keeps your hair soft and silky. 

What I do
  1. Before showering, I mix 1 Tbsp baking soda with 1 cup warm water. Then I mix 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar with 1 1/2 cups warm water. I pour the mixture into two empty glass olive oil bottles (it's easier to use a container with a lid so you can shake the baking soda shampoo before applying to your hair to be sure its fully mixed). 
  2. To wash my hair, I pour the baking soda shampoo on my scalp and roots and massage it in a circular motion, and then rinse. 
  3. To condition, I pour the apple cider vinegar conditioner onto my hair, except on the scalp/roots (it can make your roots more greasy). It instantly makes your hair feel smoother and softer. Then rinse.
  4. I wash my hair this way about three times per week. Don't worry, I still shower regularly, and I promise I don't smell like vinegar (at least not that I've been told). 
How it works and why it's awesome
Because conventional shampoo strips your hair of its natural oils, over time your scalp begins to create more oil to compensate. By switching to this method, your body will begin to produce less oils after a time. Which means, of course, that your hair may be a little greasy for anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Mine was fine for the first week, and then between days 9-14 it was feeling pretty gritty. Once I got over that hump, though, it's been great. It feels better, it styles better, and it doesn't get greasy nearly as quick after washing. Also, have you seen the price of baking soda and apple cider vinegar? Cheap, cheap, cheap. I know this method isn't for everyone, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the results. Let me know if you give it a try!

xoxo.

P.S. Before starting this method, I read this, this, and this post.
P.P.S. During the first couple weeks, I brushed through my hair a few times per day, which helped cut down on the greasiness. 

No comments: