Saturday, December 31, 2011

it's the end of the year, and what a year it's been.

Wow. 2011 has come and gone. What a year. Honestly, I start to tear up every time I think about it, because this year has been so full of change, growth and unexpected blessings. And my only conclusion, my only theme as I look back at this year is that God is so good. God is so good.

Last year at this time, Landon and I were just barely thinking about looking at grad school opportunities for Landon. We hadn't told anyone, but we would spend our nights researching and wondering and praying. We were both ready for a change. In January, we started applying to different places. Different schools, job opportunities and graduate assistantships as they came along. 

In mid-February, we were eating dinner at Air Thai (if you're ever in Lebanon, Oregon, be sure to stop for some pad thai!) when Landon got a phone call. He stepped outside to take it, and ended up missing the entire dinner, so I knew it must be important. It was a professor from Hardin-Simmons University. Landon had sent him an email the week before inquiring about a possible grad assistant position at HSU. From there, Landon was put in touch with the head track and cross country coach at HSU, and things started to fall into place. We waited another month or so to tell our families (partially based off of the philosophy in this TED talk, and not wanting to jinx ourselves), and I announced it on The Bright Life in early April. We were moving to Texas in May. 

We decided to only take one car and whatever we could fit inside. And fit we did. I sat on two blankets in the front seat, with one bag under my legs, one at my side and two on my lap. There was a lot of stress while we were packing, and a lot of, Are we really doing this?

The second night of our trip, we stopped for burgers just outside of Sacramento. We weren't in the restaurant more than 20 minutes, but when we got back to our car we found a shattered window and four missing bags. Our computer, our wedding video footage and my baby blanket, among other things, were all gone. 

Our Christmas Eve service this year was based on the idea of God's interruptions. That God's timing may not always make sense to us, but that His plan is always best. At one point, the question was posed, "How has God broken into your life this year?" It brought me to tears, because I think our break-in, in some ways, was actually God breaking in to remind us that He's in control. That we may spend hours, days, years accumulating things and memories, but they don't matter in comparison to His plan. 

We made it to Texas after over a week of traveling, and settled into our little house. The summer stretched us in many ways, but God's blessings were apparent in each challenging situation. We had to find a new church, so we visited the closest one to us. We were overwhelmed by how welcoming the church members were, and we continue to be blessed by our relationships there. We survived a summer of crazy hot temperatures, which made the fall and winter even more of a blessing. And we learned to rely on God, and not our bank account, because our bank account clearly wasn't going to sustain us. And again, God's blessings and provision carried us through. 

I have more joy and more of a sense of God's presence and plan than I ever have. I love, love, love seeing Landon pursue something that he has a passion for, and I really enjoy my job. I don't know what 2012 will bring, but I'll try to plan less and trust more, because God is so good.

Happy New Year!

xoxo.

7 comments:

Michaela said...

I loved reading this. Thank you for always inspiring me to love the Lord more and seek His plan for me just as you two have done! Happy New Year, Katie (: xo

KristenMarie said...

I liked the TED link. Around the 10th grade I read an article in a magazine for Christian girls that talked about retaining your privacy and how so many people (girls in particular) tend to talk about everything going on in their lives. But that article always stuck with me and I have learned the rewards of keeping some things to yourself, especially personal goals. They are so much more meaningful when they aren't shared with other people!

Liesl said...

What a beautiful post to end the year and I am so glad that this past year was filled with so many wonderful memories for you! I hope you have a Happy New Year and that 2012 is magical!

Liesl :)

Whim Wham Life said...

It's amazing how much a year can hold, all you have to do is jump into it and go along for the ride! God is goooood:-) xoxo

ravennagirls.com said...

Wowzers! Thanks for writing that, and putting it out there! I am constantly amazed by our God, and how much He uses each of us to spur the other one on.
I am in a season like the one you describe. One where I know I am on the brink of something new, yet leaving behind the old seems like a challenge, even though I feel like I am following God's plan. Happy New Year!
-danielle @ ravennagirls.com

Natalie said...

Thank you for being a bold blogger and sharing your faith. It is so encouraging and inspiring. Wishing you a blessed 2012!

Anonymous said...

whoops. I guess I told too many people my goals... actually, I think he's right. It doesn't help with motivation. Interesting irony there.