Monday, January 23, 2012

diy monday: custom facebook covers [how-to and free downloads!]

Happy Monday, friends! Have you switched to the Facebook timeline yet? I switched a few weeks ago, and I think it's a lot of fun, especially the cover photo. The only problem with the cover photo is that a lot of low-resolution photos (especially ones pulled from Facebook) tend to look blurry when blown up to that size. So, I decided to design a few Facebook cover images with my favorite quotes/verses. Here's what I came up with (and how they would look on my--or your--page):

 
 

If you have photoshop, here's how to make a custom Facebook cover:

Step 1: Create a new document that is 1000x368 pixels


Step 2: Create a New Pattern Fill Layer

Step 3: Select Your Pattern (see sources below)


Step 4: Using the type tool, add text to your image



Step 5: Save the image as a JPEG


And that's it! Also, I should point out that I have no graphic design training, so if I went about this the wrong way, or I'm making any of you real designers cringe, my apologies.

Now, for your free downloads. To download, right click on any of these images, click "Open Link in New Tab" and drag the image to your desktop. Then go to your Facebook page and upload your new cover! 




And here's some versions without text. You can always add your own, or leave them blank.



If you don't have the timeline yet, but want to get it, the easiest way to switch is to visit one of your friend's pages who has timeline, and you should see a prompt at the top to switch to the timeline format.

Happy cover-ing!

xoxo.

Sources
Doily Thoreau Cover: Lace Doily // Paper Background // Typeface
Blue Chevron Isaiah 54:10 Cover: Blue Chevron Background // Typeface
Yellow Lace Churchill Cover: Yellow Background // Lace Ribbon // Typeface
Gray Chevron Hepburn Cover: Gray Chevron Background // Typeface

9 comments:

BrittinayJones said...

Love this! Definitely downloading the Audrey one right now, my favorite quote from my favorite lady...with my favorite pattern! :)

Unknown said...

Those are really cute! I haven't switched to the timeline yet.. just not sure I want to make that commitment! :)

katie [the bright life] said...

Thanks ladies, I'm glad you like them!! @Brittinay - I definitely thought of you when putting the Audrey one together! @Kerri - I say go for it!

Brianne said...

Great simple tutorial, wonderful! I really need to update mine since I started with a blurry photo that only got blurrier!

Anonymous said...

that was a GREAT idea!!!! love them all!

Brooke said...

These are great! I was just wondering what to use as a cover photo and this is the perfect idea. Thanks for the tutorial!

Haleigh said...

These are beautiful and such a great idea! I love the quotes you chose. Just so you know the quote isn't by Audrey it is just her favorite! Here is the full poem:
“For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.
As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others.”
-Sam Levenson

Naomi said...

Thanks I love these!

J9nKidz said...

These are sooo perfect! Thank you! I haven't changed my timeline cover since well.... Since FB came out with it! Many many gracious thanks!